CassCaps User Manual
WARNING: This item is not a toy. Keep away from children. This item contains small parts that could be a choking hazard. Inspect glass jars for cracks or imperfections. Broken glass can cause injury.
BEFORE USE: All CassCaps, jars, ordinary caps, and funnels must be washed before use. Please find the cleaning instructions in the “How to Clean Your CassCaps” section.
SETTING UP YOUR CASSCAPS: After washing and thoroughly drying all components, use the funnel enclosed to fill your glass jar with your desired ingredient. Set the CassCap’s selector tab (a) to the ½ tsp setting. Screw your CassCap fully onto the bottle until firm, but do not overtighten. If the cap is overtightened it could lock up or spring less freely to home when twisted. If this occurs, slightly loosen the cap counterclockwise. Twist the cap a few times right side up to be sure it springs back to home with vigor without causing it to unscrew from the bottle. Place desired label on the jar after your cap has been screwed onto the jar to best align it with the front of your CassCap. Your CassCap is now ready to be used!
*The inside of the bottom of each CassCap houses a washer. This ensures that the CassCap does not unscrew itself from the bottle when in use.
HOW TO USE: Each CassCap contains two ¼ tsp chambers. Depending on the selector tab’s (a) positioning, either one or both chambers will be activated to dispense either a ¼ or ½ teaspoon of ingredient with each twist. For best results follow the steps below:
- Ensure the sprinkle slide (c) is fully closed before measuring.
- Select between a ¼ or ½ tsp by sliding the selector tab (a) up or down accordingly.
- Flip the bottle with the opening facing down over the dispensing area or bowl.
- Hold the CassCap with one hand and the bottle with the other.
- Twist the bottle clockwise and/or the CassCap counter clockwise (direction of the arrows on the cap) until reaching the built in stop point. If using fine powders, such as nutmeg or turmeric, gently tap the bottle while the chambers are open to ensure that the ingredient fully dispenses, before releasing the CassCap to return to home.
- Repeat steps 1-5 as needed until desired measurement is obtained. See the “Measuring Conversions” section below for more details.
(1) CassCaps are not to be used for calibrating weights and measures. CassCaps are designed to be a volumetric measure to be used like measuring spoons. As with measuring spoons of different shapes, different flake sizes and ingredient grinds may measure differently which may result in slight overages or shortages by CassCaps. Please refer to the “Our Tips” section for more details.
(2) In Australia, 4 teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon, so use 8 twists instead of 6.
TO SPRINKLE INGREDIENTS:
- Slide the sprinkle tab (c) clockwise to open.
- Shake lightly at first to determine sprinkle flow, adjust vigor of shake according to desired flow. Note: different ingredients will sprinkle at different rates. More granular ingredients will come out faster than flaked ingredients.
- Close the sprinkle tab.
OUR TIPS: While we tested all the spices in our kitchen and many beyond, we could not possibly test all possible ingredients on the market. We have found that CassCaps works great with most spices and dried herbs. Please see below for more information on different ingredients. Store CassCaps in a cool and dry environment for best results.
Powders & Finely Ground Ingredients: Due to the tendency for caking of some powders and finely ground ingredients, such as turmeric, ground nutmeg, and paprika, it is best to tap your bottle after twisting and before the cap springs back to home. This ensures that the chambers fully dispense all contents. If dispensing more than 1 twist worth of ingredient, we recommend giving the bottle one big shake before twisting again. This ensures the chambers fully fill up again.
Herbs*: Leafier and larger flaky dried herbs, like thyme, tend to slightly under-measure. Before cooking with CassCaps, test out your herbs. Since the potential under measure effect with larger flaky herbs is cumulative, you may have to use an extra sprinkle or cap twist(s) to reach your desired measurement.
*Remember that volumetric measures are always an approximation with dry ingredients because different shaped spoons fill differently with different ingredients. Likewsie, different spice brands have varying grind and flake sizes which may fill a given spoon, or CassCap compartment, differently.
A NOTE ABOUT SALT, SUGAR, AND BAKING POWDER:
Salt: Salt will tend to modestly bind your CassCap such that it does not readily spring back to the home position by itself. CassCaps works best with salt when using a coarse salt grind such as Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt (i.e. not too fine and not crystals needing to be ground). We do not recommend using CassCaps with finely ground salt. We recommend washing and fully drying your salt CassCap each time you refill your bottle to return the cap to its original functionality.
Sugar & Baking Powder: Due to the physical properties of some ingredients, we do not currently recommend use of CassCaps with sugar or baking powder. The properties of sugar are such that it will bind the cap, and make even manual return to the home position difficult. Extended use with sugar may permanently damage the functionality of your CassCap. Baking powder, and possibly other similar ingredients prone to severe caking, may bind your mechanism, or be difficult to release from the measuring compartments.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR CASSCAPS:
Clean your CassCaps before use, when using a different ingredient, or when cap function is limited due to binding of some ingredients. Do not put in the dishwasher.
- Submerge your CassCap in a bowl with warm water and a couple of drops of mild dish soap.
- Clean out soapy water from the bowl and submerge the CassCap again in clean water. Repeat as many times as needed to get rid of all the soap.
- We recommend filling up your glass jar with water and twisting the CassCap repeatedly to work the water through the CassCap’s inner mechanism and clear out any remaining residues.
- Pat dry as much as possible. We also recommend rotating the cap a few times with an empty glass jar, and / or shaking the cap, to expel any water from the measuring chambers. Allow CassCaps to thoroughly air dry overnight before screwing back onto the glass jar.
Materials: Polypropylene cap, glass jar, stainless steel spring, and silicone washer. CassCaps components are made with FDA food grade materials. CassCaps works with most spice jars with a 48 mm opening.
Thank you again for supporting CassCaps and our journey. We hope you love your CassCaps. If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.