Healthy Tortilla Soup
Heather Carey's "Best Ever Tortilla Soup" is exactly what it claims to be: the best ever tortilla soup. This hearty soup is filled with vegetables and spices that will leave you feeling satisfied and clean.
Full description and recipe can be found on Heather's blog.
SPICES: cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, black pepper
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 yellow squash, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 4-ounce can green diced chilis
- 1 14-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 14-ounce can black beans
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans
- 2 handfuls of green beans, ends cut off and cut in half
- 2 large handfuls baby kale, or 2 cups frozen kale
- 1 large handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 diced avocado
- sour cream, optional
- organic tortilla chips
- Dice chicken breast, sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion with salt and pepper for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Incorporate the zucchini and yellow squash and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano along with the tomato paste and green chilis, stirring often for 1 minute. Add in the tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken, beans and green beans and bring up to a boil. Bring down to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes to make sure the chicken is cooked through. Add in the kale, cilantro, and the lime juice.
- Taste the soup, you might want to add some more salt and pepper. Serve hot with add-ins.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Recipes
Pumpkin spice and everything nice!
Nothing better to entertain your fall cravings than a perfectly moist and spiced pumpkin bread.